The present school opened its doors in January 1960. The previous school in Edward St. served the C.B.S. school system since the 1930’s. The new building, in the Fair Field, was avant-garde for its day with a new hall added almost immediately.
Over the next 20 years prefabs were added to cater for the then 800 pupils who were educated there. When another boys’ school was opened in other Tralee parish of St. Brendan’s the numbers levelled off to 400. The 1960 school had pupils from 3rd class to 6th class and later a 7th class was added to cater for the scholarship class.
With the decline in Christian Brothers vocations from the all time high of 8 Christian Brothers in the 60’s to 1 brother in the 2000’s, the teaching structure of the school changed. In 2004 the C.B.S. appointed its first lay principal, Mr. Denis Coleman.
While much of the non-human character of the school has changed over the years; the windows were replaced in 2003, the central heating in 2004, the roof in 2005, and a computer room added in 2007, the charisma and ethos of Christian education has remained.
The school took a giant leap forward in September 2005 with dual enrolment of infants and girls for the first time. This move forward has been an instant success. In April 2010 the school became “interactive” with the installation of an interactive white board in every classroom and on May 5th we celebrated the 50th anniversary of the school.
Famous past pupils of the school have been John O’Keeffe, Ger O’Keeffe, Mikey Sheehy and Ger Power of Kerry G.A.A. fame, Dick Spring in the political arena and Michael Dwyer, an international film critic and writer.